The Counterfeiters (German: Die Fälscher) is a 2007 film written and directed by Stefan Ruzowitzky. It fictionalizes Operation Bernhard, a secret plan by the Nazis during the Second World War to destabilize Great Britain by flooding its economy with forged Bank of Englandbank notes. The film centres on a Jewish counterfeiter, Salomon 'Sally' Sorowitsch, who is coerced into assisting the Nazi operation at the Sachsenhausen concentration camp. The film is based on a memoir written by Adolf Burger, a Jewish Slovak typographer who was imprisoned in 1942 for forging baptismal certificates to save Jews from deportation, and later interned at Sachsenhausen to work on Operation Bernhard. Ruzowitsky consulted closely with Burger through almost every stage of the writing and production. The film won the 2007Best Foreign Language Film Oscar at the 80th Academy Awards.
- Karl Markovics as "Sorowitsch" (Salomon Smolianoff)
- August Diehl as "Burger" (Adolf Burger)
- Devid Striesow as "Sturmbannführer Herzog" (Bernhard Krüger)
- Veit Stübner as "Atze"
- Sebastian Urzendowsky as "Kolya"
- August Zirner as "Dr Klinger"
- Martin Brambach as "Hauptscharführer Holst"
- Andreas Schmidt as "Zilinski"
- Tilo Prückner as "Hahn"
- Lenn Kudrjawizki as "Loszek"
I love these kind of movies, about Second World War. This one was fantastic, tottaly recommended!